In France, at least in Marseille, we can easily find Vietnamian Foods. They are all over the place. Most French people (in Marseille) know very well nems (vietnamian spring rolls). I thought this kind of spring rolls, or we call it risoles in Indonesa, will cure my longing for risoles. Apparently not! 😦 . The different between Nems and Risoles is the stuffing. In Nems, they put sea food or chicken or pork with its special taste of course. While risoles are simply vegetable with vermicelli, and its special taste.
We are only two at home, so I won’t bother myself to prepare risoles only for small portion. Its not worth the mess 😀 . So when there is an occasion to invite friends to dine in, I will happily prepare the risoles.
Let’s get start!
100 gr of vermicelli
- one medium carrot (cut into cubicles)
- 50 gr of green bean (sliced)
- 30 sheet of rice paper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- one stem of green onion (chopped)
- 1 cloves of medium shallot
- 1 tea sp of grounded coriander
- 1/2 tea sp of grounded cumin
- 1 tea sp of pepper
- 1,5 tea sp of salt
- 1 egg
- 750 ml of boiling water
- 1/4 cup of cooking oil
- 500 ml of oil
How to cook:
- Ground garlic, shallot, coriander, cumin, pepper and salt (you can use mixter instead)
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan then add grounded ingredients.
- When it changes colour and smells good add the cubicles of carrots and sliced green bean. Stir them well. After 10 minutes add the eggs and choppped green onion. Mix them well.
- Mean while boils 500 ml of water. Prepare a salad bowl for the vermicelli. When the water boils, pour it into the salad bowl. Drain the vermicelli when it is already smooth, then add in the fried vegetable. Mix them well, then set aside.
- Boil 250 ml of water. When it boils, keep it warms by setting a low heat.
- Take one sheet of rice paper, drown it in the hot water. Take it out when it is smooth enough to be folded.
- Put the smooth rice paper on a flat plate (make sure you cover it with cooking oil before). Add 1 table spoon of vermicelli stuffing. Fold the rice paper then roll it. Do the same process until you are run out of the stuffing.
- You can keep the rolls in the refrigerator and fried them the day after or when ever you’re ready
- Heat 500 ml of oil in a pan (for easier process and better result use special pan for french fries)
- Fried the rolls until it goldens.
Serving for 6 – 8 people (30 rolls)
Best serve while warm and with
- Fresh chilli, or
- Spicy Sour Souce.